Thursday 6 November 2008

Michael Crichton

Just when I thought I have to stop spending much time online, the News of Michael Crichton's Death made me post this.

Crichton is one of my favourite authors. I'm not a huge book person. I've read very few books, definitely just in double digits. Crichton's contribution to that number is pretty huge. I've read mostly all his Fictions except Andromeda Strain (Which I started and couldn't sit through).

The first book that I ever read in my life, in 8th std, was "Jurassic Park". Sci-fi pulled me and Crichton became my fav author. I carried on with "Lost World" and then moved on to other books of his. Any bookworm would tell you that it's a bad idea to read a certain authors' books consecutively, but I did exactly that. I read many of his books, "Prey", "Timeline", "Airframe", "Sphere", "Great Train Robbery" and such.

The science in it kept me glued to his books. A few concepts or things that I read in his books have stuck to my mind for long. Like the Chaos Theory explained by Ian Malcolm in "Jurassic Park", the concept of Parallel Universe in "Timeline", the Herd Behaviour in "Prey", the detailed description of Aircrafts and precisely, the Black boxes (Which are actually Orange!) from "Airframe"!

I am going to miss him. A definite loss to the Book World.

4 comments:

Sunshinemom said...

I shall miss him too! As it is it is difficult to start reading new authors when you finish all your favorite authors' books!! MC has created a vacuum now! There are few who could weave stories and research like he did.

Rakesh Vanamali said...

Quite an author! His lucid style of writing combined with immense knowledge makes his work very good reads!

Co-incidentally, my current post is a tribute to him!

RIP Crichton!

ice_fire said...

Yup! He is an awesome author indeed! read his state of fear too... its good!

ice_fire said...

Yup! He is an awesome author indeed! read his state of fear too... its good!